Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A not-so-special edition

“I knew they had the time wrong,” I grumbled as we milled about in the theatre lobby, our boots wet with slush. “If the original is two hours, the special edition is obviously going to be too long to schedule showings for seven and nine pm.”

My cousin shrugged. “You were the one that had to go opening night.”

I grinned. “I was, wasn’t I?” I grabbed his arm. “This is going to be GREAT. You’ve never seen any of them in theatres and I’ve only ever seen Jedi on the big screen.” I bounced lightly on the balls of my feet.

James rolled his eyes. “Yes, it’s cool – very cool – please keep your voice down.”

They finally opened the theatre doors and we claimed our seats – middle of the theatre, middle of the row.

We sat in silence, eyes glued to the screen. My mouth may have been hanging open.

And then...

“What the fuck was that!?!” I clamped a hand over my mouth in horror – even though it’s the late show, there are kids in the audience. “What was that?” I repeated, in a whisper.

“Greedo shooting first,” James replied.

I nodded. “That’s what I thought.”

I slid down in my seat and crossed my arms over my chest. I didn’t speak for the rest of the movie. I didn’t speak, hours later, as we wormed our way up the aisle and through the lobby.

“So what did you think?” James eventually asked, trepidation on his face.

“That! He! That! What! Gah!”

James nodded as I sputtered. “Do you still want to see Empire?”

“No!” I practically spat out the word and he laughed.

I still haven’t seen the other two special editions.

No comments: