Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You may watch it, but do you get it?

“That was Brent?”

Kay nodded. We were standing in the parking lot of my sister’s apartment building, helping her load all of her worldly possessions into the back of a van. Her someday brother-in-law had dropped off a box and sped out of the parking lot without a word.

I shook my head. Though I had never met him, I had heard – repeatedly – of his love for Torchwood and Doctor Who. “I don’t think he’s really a Doctor Who fan.”

Kay laughed. "You can’t know that – besides, he’s seen every episode.”

“Oh, I don’t doubt he’s seen them – he just doesn’t really get them. Otherwise, he would have offered to help.”

Kay nodded. “The Doctor always helps.”

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. “Maybe this particular round of packing is a fixed point in history. Maybe he really wanted to help but knew that it would rip the universe to shreds.”

Kay and I looked at each other and grinned. “Nah.”

No comments: