Saturday, August 30, 2008

Put on the shirt and toss back a mint julep...

The New York Times Book Review of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil claimed that it ”might be the first true-crime book that makes the reader want to book a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend at the scene of the crime.”

It’s a pretty accurate review. I know nothing of Savannah, Georgia other than what I’ve read in the pages of John Berendt’s book. Despite that, I have a fierce desire to go there. For years, I was on the mailing list of the Savannah College of Art and Design and I was green with envy when I found out that a former frenemy had moved there.

That’s why, when we visited a thrift shop this morning, I zeroed in on a horrible lilac t-shirt with black and white photographs of the city on the front. It was garish – yet oddly genteel – and the only thing that kept me from buying it was a disturbing mystery stain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've only ever spent a few hours in Savannah, but it's a beautiful place. Lovely prerevolutionary architecture.

On the other hand, I do have a friend from high school who graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design in (I think) 2003.